Pages

Tuesday 26 March 2013

Pre Op Assessment

Was called in for a Pre Op Assessment, despite telling them that I didn't want it doing for another 12 months. It needs doing, oh boy does it need doing but work, life and circumstances mean that I have to delay it ... as long as possible. This is a fight between me and the OA.

Arrived at the hospital at 8.30 and was met by a lovely nurse who sat me down and offered me a cup of tea. Bless.

I explained that I didn't want it done yet and why and she immediately understood. Of course, the actual surgeon wasn't there (just his understudy, a PT and an OT).

The PT came over to see me and I asked what kind of physiotherapy I could expect afterwards. 'Oh we give you a leaflet, with exercises on' she trilled 'and the surgeon will see you after six weeks'

Hmm.

I explained to her as softly as I could that I only have one leg, the THR will be on the other leg and I may need a little support / advice to learn to walk again. She looked slightly abashed and replied that she 'didn't have a leaflet for that'.

She wandered off, to see someone less challenging and more suited to 'leaflet mode'.

The lovely nurse came back after a while and went through the paperwork with me. She also said that she thought I would be a good candidate for an injection directly into the hip (something my GP refused to do on the grounds of 'cost') of cortiocosteroids and local anastheisa. She would write it up in my note and discuss with the surgeon.

What a lovely lady.

Still, blood, heart and other tests done, I am fit for surgery whenever it happens and possibly I will finally get my injection. Yippee!

No comments:

Post a Comment