Pages

Monday 4 March 2013

Job Interview: how much to reveal?

Have been offered dream job interview at local college. Dream type job, much nearer home and great salary.

Staring down the barrel of a THR, I wonder if I am a 'good bet'? Would a company, if I chose to disclose it, feel I would be a 'bad risk', if I don't disclose it, am I breaking a law?

Who employs someone who could be on sick leave for several months?

Or do I accept the role (if offered) and postpone the THR for a year? Could I even last another year? My surgeon says no and that a wheelchair becons in six months if it is not done soon. Hmm.

Choices, choices.

Walking in with a cane or crutch, it's going to be obvious that something is amiss but how far is it legal and how far is it 'ethical' to go with disclosure?

Unfair to have to even consider this but consider it I must.

Life with Arthritis and a disability is a series of compromises; how far to go, can I get back again, can I park nearby, is it far to walk, how many times I day can I sneak out of the meeting to take medication without being seen, which dress can I wear with pockets or access to able the TENS unit cable to be secreted, if I do this today, will it interfere with tomorrows plans? The list is endless.

But if I can do the job (and I can), then is it wrong to reject me out of hand because I might get tired sometimes and need to sit down? Legally, yes, it is wrong; in practise, I'm not so sure. People have been 'not employed' for less. 

According to the 'Human rights' legislation, they can't ask me anything until a job offer is made, so I think this is a suck it and see situation and definitely an occasion for a really good frock!

Let's hope they are employing me for my brains and not for my stamina.

People all over the world face this on a daily basis. They can't get a job because they are sick, they can't pay for treatment because they have no money. They have no money because they can't get a job, they can't get a job because they are sick ....

I have a job and it's a great one but this new one would be better. I want it.

New frock, extra painkillers on the day, TENS turned up to Latin Fever Rumba speed and a big smile plastered on the face.

Worry about the future, when it gets here.






1 comment:

  1. Go for the wheelchair. Everyone knows that sitting in a wheelchair automatically cancels out pain and means you can mobilize effortlessly.

    It's in the Atos assessment, so it must be true.

    ReplyDelete